CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Final Music Video

Final Album Cover

Final Album Cover

Click On The Picture To Go To Our Official Myspace Page

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Final choice - Alive

My final choice out of the songs I've listened to is "Alive" by Natalie Bassingthwaighte. This song sounds like a mix of Pink, Rihanna, and Britney Spears, three female superstars, combining RnB, Pop, Rock, Punk, Dance-Pop and Electro-Pop.




Natalie Bassingthwaighte (born 1 September 1975) is an Australian actress, singer and television personality. She is the former lead vocalist of electro-pop band Rogue Traders, author of a book for teenage girls and host of "So You Think You Can Dance Australia". She is perhaps best known for the role of Izzy Hoyland on the "Neighbours" from 2003 to 2007 (which I used to watch), which gained her nominations for the TV Week Gold Logie. Her debut album "1000 Stars" debuted at number 1 on the March 1, 2009.



Lyrics

Alive, alive, alive, alive

Never thought the day would come when I'd see
My reflection smiling right back at me
It's been a while since I've been happy
Not sure, that I'm ready
I never planned on letting love in
Didn't wanna go back there again

But maybe I could (maybe I should)
Take a, take a chance on you

Tonight, I'm lost in the music and lights
I don't wanna let go but I might
If it's right
Tonight, tonight, tonight, tonight
Is this real? Cause this heart is just startin' to heal
And you're so close to makin' me feel (me feel)
Alive, alive, alive, alive

I didn't ever think that I'd be given
Everythin' that I was missing
It's like somebody out there's listening
Still not sure, that I'm ready
But maybe I could (maybe I should)
Take a, take a chance on you

Tonight, I'm lost in the music and lights
I don't wanna let go but I might
If it's right
Tonight, tonight, tonight, tonight
Is this real? Cause this heart is just startin' to heal
And you're so close to makin' me feel (me feel)
Alive, alive, alive, alive

You're makin' me feel, alive, alive
Alive, alive, alive, alive

I don't know if it's love again
But I'm closer than I've ever been
You're makin' me wanna let you in (wanna let you in)
I can feel your energy
I can't explain the chemistry
All the signs are telling me
Take a chance on you

Tonight, I'm lost in the music and lights
I don't wanna let go but I might
If it's right
Tonight, tonight, tonight, tonight
Is this real? Cause this heart is just startin' to heal
And you're so close to makin' me feel (me feel)
Alive, alive, alive, alive

Tonight, I'm lost in the music and lights
I don't wanna let go but I might
If it's right
Tonight, tonight, tonight, tonight
Is this real? Cause this heart is just startin' to heal
And you're so close to makin' me feel (me feel)
Alive, alive, alive, alive



For the idea for the visuals, I would want a mixture of performance and narrative. I really like Radiohead video for "Just" as the narrative is original, funny, and interesting, giving it great playability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_qMagfZtv8


I want something like that for our music video, so that it stands out.


Looking at the lyrics for "Alive", it seems that she has recently broken up with someone and got her heart broken, "I never planned on letting love in. Didn't wanna go back there again", and now is hesitant to let herself fall for this new guy. It almost seems as though she is getting ready for a date with this guy, while remembering how badly she got hurt before, and maybe having doubts about the new guy. Or perhaps she is at a club/party with the guy in a bit of a daze, "lost in the music and lights", still debating whether or not to continue with this guy.

One idea for the narrative is that the main girl is writing a list of things that are missing in her life, things like "good job", "nice appartment", "great friends" that are crossed off, and "loving boyfriend" which she is pondering over, "It's like somebody out there's listening" to what she wants.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh86uSsux1M


This video is interesting as the main guy sends messages to strangers using pigeons/doves. The idea of sending/receiving little messages could be used in our video, not sure how yet, but I'm sure we could incorporate it somehow.

I recently saw the film "500 Days Of Summer" in which they used a split-screen technique, showing the man's ideal situation, and the reality of the situation. In his perfect version, he went to his ex's party and ended up talking to her all night and kissing her. In the real version, he barely spoke to her, and noticed an engagement ring on her finger. I would like to use this technique in my music video as I think it would fit with this song.


Perhaps for this song, there could be either a split screen or cross-cutting (with a bright heavenly lighting effect in the expectation sequence) between the girl calling the guy, going out with him on romantic dates, and being happy, given jewellery or flowers in a park by him. This would be cross-cut with the reality which could be that she ignores his calls, stops seeing him for fear of getting her heart broken, and continuing to lead a slightly empty life, and then later, after time has passed, she sees him with his new girlfriend at the park in which he gave her the jewellery in her dream-situation. I can imagine a park filled with autumn leaves (as it is currently September and the leaves are starting to fall) which would look really romantic, but instead she is left alone. This could also be cross-cut with her at a bar on her own, or at home with a glass of wine. The performance part of this could be her at a club/party trying to get over him, or in her house, or in the street with her friends, dancing while singing it. I think it is a strong, catchy song, and there is plenty of scope for interesting scenarios and effects such as playing footage backwards and forwards, or using grading effects that enhance certain colours. Obviously if my group decided to do this song, we could brainstorm loads of ideas and choose the best ones, but for now, these are my initial ideas.

I also like "Voodoo Child" by Rogue Traders (with Natalie Bassingthwaighte) as it is similar to "Alive".

0 comments: